While using internet you must often come across with two terms frequently and they are “Blog” and “Website”. If you are planning to establish your online presence then it is important to know the difference between blog and website because it can play a huge role in how you will develop and maintain your online presence. Below is a snapshot from Google trends where you can see how frequently this question has been asked to Google Search engine.
Let’s examine the question and the real difference that lies between a blog and a website. The most basic difference between them is theoretically the presentation of data. Let’s first try to understand what is a blog then we will learn what is a website. Once we will get to know what does the actual meaning of these two frequently search terms on Google then we can classify the difference between them.
What is a Blog?
The term blog came from the word “Weblog”. It contains posts which typically displayed in reverse chronological order. That means, recent post appears first at the top of the web page followed by the previously updated content. You can start a blog easily with the services like WordPress, Blogger, Medium, Tumblr, Squarespace, Joomla, Ghost, Wix, Weebly etc. where you do not need to invest lot of time to start from the scratch. They provide easy to go interface including tons of templates to start with. Here your main focus is to write quality and regularly updated content.
A good blog has following features in common.
- RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds for posts
- Blog offers to send free email newsletters to readers
- Blog is managed by an individual author or a team of authors.
- Blog articles visible in a chronological order i.e newest post first
- Blog provides a commenting system where readers are allowed to participate in the communication and leave behind comments.
- Blog articles are organized through date, category, author, tags and sub-categories.
Example of a Blog
What is a Website?
A website on the other hand, It has a root page called as index page which are connected to other pages in a tree structure under the root. A website does not give any importance to the creation date of a page. Here main focus is to link all pages with each other. A website could be anything from a single page to a billion pages.
A good website has following features in common.
- Website can have design portfolio of work
- Blog can be part of a website but it is not mandatory
- Website have a page of client testimonials and feedback
- Website must have a contact form which allows visitors to get in touch
- Website must have terms and privacy statement pages. (pure static pages)
- Website have services or product pages which allows to see what they offer to the visitors.
- Website contain a homepage which connects several sections of internal pages.
- Website have FAQs pages that readers can browser to get more information (like product information)
Example of a Website
In today’s modern world the term blog and website are used interchangeably frequently all over internet, media outlets but these two work very differently in their own ways. You need both to increase your online exposure and to strengthen your online business reputation.
If you liked this article then do not forget to follow me on twitter. Happy reading 🙂